Marcus Daly, an English pianist, rushes to the scene but he's too late to save her. He sets out to solve the murder but at every turn the mysterious slayer strikes, cutting off each line of enquiry with acts of grisly violence, each more shocking than the last.
Directed by Dario Argento in 1975, just two years before Suspiria brought him global fame, Deep Red (Profondo Rosso) set the standards by which all his future works would be judged and still remains one of his most effective, shocking and impressive works to date. Starring David Hemmings (Barbarella; Blowup) and Daria Nicolodi (Inferno, Phenomena; Tenebrae), Deep Red remains a top-flight example of giallo cinema, a tense and unsettling psychological thriller packed with the kind of camerawork and cinematic set pieces that would become Argento's trademark.
Deep Red will be released on UK DVD (£12.99) and Blu-ray (£16.99) on 13th December 2010 by Arrow Video. Both discs will contain two versions of the film, completely uncut for the first time in the UK, with a brand new transfer of the director's cut in High Definition (1080p on the Blu-ray), optional Dolby 5.1/stereo Italian audio and mono/stereo English* audio, plus a brand new transfer of the international theatrical cut (also 1080p on the Blu-ray), plus a reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned art work, two-sided fold-out poster with new art work, exclusive collector's booklet featuring brand new writing on Deep Red by Alan Jones, author of Profondo Argento. Both discs will have the following extras:
- Introduction by composer Claudio Simonetti;
- Audio commentary with Argento expert Thomas Rostock;
- Rosso Recollections – Dario's Deep Genius;
- Lady in Red: Daria Nicolodi remembers Profondo Rosso;
- Music to Murder For! Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red;
- Original Italian trailer (to be confirmed);
- Original trailer (to be confirmed);
- A Tour of the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi.
* The English Audio track on the Director's Cut has some portions of English audio missing. This was either never recorded or has been lost. The English audio has been painstakingly assembled from various audio sources and represents the most complete audio available in a Mono/Stereo audio mix.